These burgers feature a spicy miso glaze full of umami goodness and are topped with crunchy carrot and cucumber slaw and a zangy ginger avocado spread. Get ready, because you're about to take your taste buds to a whole new dimension.
For the Portobello Burgers:
• 2 large portobello mushrooms
• 1 Tbs Miso ( any color)
• 1 Tbs toasted sesame oil
• 1 Tbs hot sauce
• pinch of salt and pepper
• 2 Pretzel buns, toasted
• Pickled ginger (optional)
For the carrot & cucumber slaw:
• 2 small cucumbers, cut length-wise into ribbons using a mandolin or vegetable peeler
• 1 1/2 c carrots, julienned
• 1 scallion, sliced at diagonal
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• 2 tsp rice vinegar
• 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
For the Avocado Spread:
• 1 extra large avocado, cubed
• 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger ( or use ginger paste)
• 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
• pinch chili flakes and sesame seeds
Preheat the grill. Using a fork or mini whisk, mix the miso, hot sauce, sesame oil and pinch of salt & pepper together in a small bowl to make a paste. Brush liberally onto both sides of the portobello mushrooms.
Using a vegetable peeler or mandolin, cut the cucumber into long thin ribbons or slice into thin disks. Place them in a medium bowl along with the julienned carrots and scallions. Add the remaining dressing ingredients and gently toss to combine.
Make the avocado spread by placing the ingredients in a small bowl, mashing, and stirring a bit until creamy and combined. Sprinkle with sesame and chili flakes.
|4||Grill the portobellos, top sides down first, for 4-5 minutes over medium heat, until juicy and tender. Flip, grill a few more minutes. Grill the Buns.|
SERVE: Spread buns with a generous amount of the avocado spread and place the portobello mushroom gills side up. Mound with the cucumber & carrot slaw and garnish with pickled ginger (optional). Use the remaining avocado spread on the top bun and voila! Dinner is served. 🧑🍳
Pair with 2020 Pleasure Trip, Pét-Nat Sparkling Wine, Sierra Foothills.